Wednesday, April 14, 2010

13Relay: Baton-passing to Homo Mecca

By Beau
On May 1st and 2nd, a team comprised of 12 NYC Front Runners will be running the 13Relay, a 199-mile course starting in Boston and ending in P-Town.  Each runner will run three non-consecutive legs of the race over 24-hours, morning, noon, and night.  I've never done one of these kinds of races before but the Front Runners team was so gracious and kind to invite me to participate when I inquired about the race, even allowing for my self-confessed glacial-paced galloping.

Quite honestly, I'm still not sure how it all works other than there are vans full of team-mates, water stops, three-changes of clothing, and lots of cheering.  I hope we can hang out of the van and be loud and obnoxious while seeing the beautiful sites of New England so I'm planning on taking my flip-cam and tweeting while I'm running (not safe but whatevs).  I am disappointed that in crossing the finish line in beautiful, downtown Cape Cod, I won't be able to spend any time there and will have to haul ass back to NYC for work on Monday but that's the way these things sometimes go.

1 comment:

  1. If you've got a good group in your van, it'll be a blast. I've done the Calistoga-Santa Cruz Relay three times and had great times: it's a rolling party. Remember to stretch after you've finished running your legs and be patient and charitable: everyone's bitchy when they're sleep-deprived. Have a great run!

    ReplyDelete