Sunday, June 6, 2010

Cocktails: The Main Squeeze Revisited

By Brooklyn Bill

I've tweaked my recipe for the Main Squeeze since I wrote about it in February. Specifically, I've added a dash of bitters to make it less sweet and a little more sophisticated.

My buddy Bob likes his MS a little fizzier, so I put 2 ounces of club soda in his. I'm not overly fond of fizziness,* and my friend Jen, Bob's wife, thinks it's fizzy enough without the extra club soda, so I use only 1 ounce in our MSes. Bob says the extra soda makes him less likely to drink it really fast. He's still usually the first one done, though. :-)

Here's my revised recipe, with a few footnotes, for extra cocktail nerdiness!

Main Squeeze

2 oz. St-Germain
2 oz. orange juice,** preferably fresh squeezed
1 dash,*** bitters****
1 oz. club soda

Shake the first three ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour, unstrained, into a rocks glass. Add the club soda. Garnish with an orange slice, if desired.

*I'm very fond of fuzziness.
**I bet it'd also be delicious with tangerine juice, which was in my original, discarded-for-being-too-complex recipe.
***Per cocktail guru Dale DeGroff, a dash is six drops.
****I used Urban Moonshine Original Bitters, which is flavored with dandelion, angelica, burdock, and orange peel, among other ingredients.

3 comments:

  1. I had one - I am not a drinker but I really liked it! Mark Heskin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the endorsement, Mark. And while I'm on here, and in the mood for some blog whoring, here's the url for my post over at Hawleyblog about the gathering at which Mark tried the MS:
    http://hawley.blogs.com/hawleyblog/2010/06/a-surprise-birthday-party-for-john.html

    ReplyDelete