Monday, March 8, 2010

Tired Old Queen at the Movies

By Brooklyn Bill

On this day after the Gay Super Bowl,* I wanted to write something about movies. But among the Best Picture nominees, I've seen only Up, and although I recorded the Oscars broadcast, I haven't watched a minute of it. And to be honest, by the end of the show, I'm usually about ready to gag on all of the Hollywood ass kissing and self-worship anyway. So even though you should feel free to write your own thoughts on the Oscars in the comments, if you like, I've got nothing to offer on last night's GSB.

There's one thing movie related, though, that I'm unabashedly a huge fan of: New Yorker Steve Hayes's Tired Old Queen at the Movies videos. I loved Hayes's turn as Perry in Trick, especially his hilarious number "?Como Te Gusta Mi Pinga?" (My favorite rhyme: "can't go on" and "Montalban.") And I've been hooked on his TOQ videos ever since I discovered them over at Joe. My. God. Hayes provides behind-the-scenes insights into classic films that even an *ahem* energetic young queen like me would enjoy. He's sharp, hilarious, and a total delight. The TOQ's latest video is on 1945's Mildred Pierce, starring Joan Crawford in the title role, a performance that landed Crawford her only Oscar. Just like you can be damn sure Sandra Bullock landed the only Oscar she'll ever receive for The Blind Side. OK, maybe I had a little something to say about last night's results.

*I had to link to Ken's blog after Googling "gay super bowl" because his blog has a link to Queer New York, he and his partner have two basset hounds, and he got 8 of his 10 predictions right, correctly foreseeing that Hurt Locker would dominate Avatar.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Brooklyn Bill! Thanks so much for the shout out and the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome, Steve Hayes. Love you!

    ReplyDelete