Monday, December 6, 2010

Social Calendar - Monday Night: Stanton Social

Unlike the last 15 years living in New York, for this week, I have something social to do EVERY night.  This is to say, that when presented with a challenge, even now, I can rise to the occasion.

Tonight it was dinner with good friends at The Stanton Social (warning: annoying Flash site) down on the Lower East Side.
(Continue reading about the amazing food after the break...)


My friend Bill asked what I was drinking when he arrived to find us at the bar and when I said a Manhattan Sidecar, he responded with, "What is this, 1963?"  A complete old-school bar service.  Several dirty martini's and Negroni's later, we sat down to French Onion Soup Dumplings, Red Snapper Taco's, Chicken & Waffle bites, Brie & Apple Quesadillas, and something with marinated short ribs.  The gist of the place is a tapas-like atmosphere with small servings of delectable morsels that are meant to be shared.  It's a vibe that is charming, infectious, and delicious.

The atmosphere and patronage is supposed to be Lower East Side hipstery swank but 1) I don't know what the fuck that even means and 2) pretty damn sure I am not it so I can't really comment about it.  I know the bar upstairs and the main dining room on the ground floor were both heavily flooded with candlelight and the booths were lush and inviting.  I also know after I got home and tweeted about the place,  NYC_Eastvillage responded about a new restaurant, Beauty & Essex, by the same chef who owns The Stanton Social.  The news clip had me at "grilled cheese and tomato soup dumplings".  So my social calendar continues to expand.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! I see a faint trace of Lower East Side in the painted exposed brick wall, but otherwise, it's 98% swank. The food pics look terrific. I'm putting it on my list.

    ReplyDelete