Thursday, July 15, 2010

Rufus Wainwright at the Bandshell in Prospect Park

By West Village Bill

This Tuesday, Rufus Wainwright will be performing a benefit concert for Celebrate Brooklyn! at the Prospect Park Bandshell off Prospect Park West near 9th Street in my old stomping grounds, Park Slope.

Rufus's opening act will be his father, Grammy Award–winning folk singer Loudon Wainwright III.

I've seen Rufus live twice, including once at McCarter Theatre in Princeton, New Jersey, back in 2001. Toward the end of that show, I threw a knotted pair of my briefs onstage. Rufus remarked that he hoped they were dirty and put them in his pocket. They were clean; I'd actually written a note inside in marker that said my then-partner and I were big fans. And I gave the e-mail address and URL for the bed and breakfast/organic farm we ran at the time. We never heard from Rufus, but I had fun shaking things up a little bit in stodgy Princeton.

Photo from Celebrate Brooklyn! website

3 comments:

  1. I'm astonished and delighted to learn that you did that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have my tickets; but i'm curious to know if it might not be selling well. celebrate brooklyn keeps posting sale prices for this show. they haven't done so with the other benefit shows which seem to have all sold out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean: Rufus is a niche artist, but I don't understand why he wouldn't be selling well in this particular forum. I was surprised there were still tickets available. Unfortunately, I won't be getting one; I'm going to have to work very late on Tuesday.
    ***
    FT: It started out as a joke with friends: I should throw my underwear at him. And then I had to do it.

    ReplyDelete