Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice: New York Coming Attractions

Posted by Beau RN

I have to confess even though I'm a geek from head to toe and pride myself on being aware of forthcoming movies, I missed the memo when Disney greenlit a live action version of their 1940's "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".  Greenlit it with Nicolas Cage and the Whole Lotta Jew Fire dude from "Nick & Nora's Playlist".  Seriously, WTF?

The trailer for "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" was released yesterday to what appears to be some anticipatory fanboy fanfare so I watched it just to get a read on how this might go.  I think it might go right in the toilet, to be honest.

BUT! And there is always a BUT, what I loved about the trailer is the opening scene when the great metallic gargoyles that thrust out from New York's Chrysler Building start moving and then fly off the building to do the Sorcerer's bidding.  Who has ever looked at the Chrysler Building and not wanted those great Art-Deco avians to spread their wings and take flight over the city?

(The Chrysler Building photo by Margaret Bourke-White)

The win for me in this movie, if I'm going to be pleasant and positive since it won't be released until July 2010, is that was filmed all over New York City last summer.  I can sit through a total suck of a movie if it is in New York so I can make due with watching for all the places I love and frequent in the city, if only to gloat to everyone not living here.  So yes, despite my misgivings and growing sense of suck, I'll be in the theater this July to see "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".

New York City movies are one of those almost insignificant things that keeps me loving the city just a little bit more.

5 comments:

  1. I have often been guilty of that "gloating" about being here. The Baad Lamb and I once squealed with delight while watching Sex and the City and seeing Samantha and Carrie walk right by the front door of our building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my first visit to NYC, I annoyed my sisters as I shouted out scenes I recognized from movies and TV. "Home Alone!" "Law and Order!" "Men In Black!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, is it heresy to say that i love the Chrysler Bldg more than the Empire State Bldg? (Must find my pics of Chryler Bldg lobby/elevator)

    ReplyDelete
  4. F. Tony,
    It's not heresy to say that at all. I'm not sure you could find someone that would actually disagree with you on that point.

    I think the Chrysler is much more inspiring than the Empire State Building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NYC-filmed movies really make me miss being there! One day, I'll make it there again!

    I love the Chrsyler! Being an Art Deco buff, I always have.

    ReplyDelete