Sunday, December 20, 2009

WABC RADIO IN The 60s and 70s When AM Was King.

By Donnie


The Wall Street Journal is reporting the Citadel Broadcasting has filed for bankruptcy protection. Here in New York they own WABC radio. WABC radio no longer plays music having become a very conservative talk radio station. I like to refer to it as "angry white guy radio".

When I was a little boy in the 60s, with high school and college in the 70s, I grew up with WABC until the FM radio format led by WNEW overtook "AM" radio. My first 45 was a song by the 1910 Fruit Gum Company called 1-2-3 Red Light. ( click on 1-2-3 to hear some bubble gum).

There is hardly a New Yorker alive who won't fondly recall the 60s and early 70s when WABC dominated NYC radio with its top 40 format. From the Beatles to the Temptations, they played all the hits in the "45" format. Who can forget the lengendary DJs such as, Cousin Brucie , Harry Harrison and Dan Ingram to name a few.

I don't long for the past, but the memories and music of my youth are part of who I am today and when I hear the songs, I smile. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment